Interested in receiving comprehensive CNG certification and training? TFC Recycling and Virginia Clean Cities are happy to announce a comprehensive class that will equip you with the knowledge and credentials necessary to successfully implement CNG vehicles and fueling with your fleet!
The 5-day class will be from April 29th to May 3rd in Chesapeake VA. Interested fleets can enroll for $1000 per student. Virginia Clean Cities stakeholders will be offered a $50 discount. Also, any organization that brings 3 or more people will receive a $50 discount per person. The class begins April 29th – Don’t wait to sign up!
This course presents an introduction to operating vehicles using compressed natural gas (CNG). Students are required to gain an understanding of CNG, regulations, component and line fabrications, driver education requirements, and diagnostic testing components. Students will apply basic competencies to grasp in-depth workings of CNG-fueled vehicles.
Students will prepare for an industry career with an understanding of correct conversion methods, maintenance and repair of CNG vehicles with current equipment, tools, and service information. All students will receive lectures, demonstrations, and hands-on experience in this competency-based program. Students will also receive in-depth training on Computerized Fuel Management systems, as used on both dedicated and bi-fuel systems. Students must pass a safety course prior to being allowed to complete the hands-on lab portion of the program. A diagnostic strategy emphasis will characterize every aspect of the program using manufacturer’s service procedures and accepted safety practices.
This course will focus on combining classroom instruction and theory with the opportunity to apply theory through hands-on activities carried out in the TFC active service station in Chesapeake Virginia. Students will be given the opportunity to learn CNG practice on a state-of-the art fleet. This course will emphasize testing at the end of each module prior to actively participating in active lab work. At the conclusion of this course, students will be certified to safely work on CNG vehicles to NAPA 52 standards.
COURSE INSTRUCTIONAL AREAS
1. Theory and history of compressed natural gas
2. Installation and training with Swagelok products
3. System operation with Agility fuel systems
4. Understanding NFPA 52 Vehicular Gaseous Fuel Systems Code
5. Installing compressed natural gas components
6. Programming and calibrating compressed natural gas components
7. Diagnosis and troubleshooting
1. Understand the history and theory of compressed natural gas as an alternative fuel source
2. Knowledge of alternative fuels technical definitions
3. Safety precautions relative to natural gas properties
4. Preparing for fuel system inspection
5. Correctly install tube fittings and end connections
6. Recognize the causes of leaks and troubleshoot issues correctly
7. Knowledge of the fuel system structure and components
8. Correct operation and maintenance of compressed natural gas-powered vehicles
9. Understand all of the NFPA 52 code information as it relates to compressed natural gas
10. Identify hardware requirements and software installation needs
11. Program and calibrate the vehicle engine control unit
12. Diagnose engine control unit errors and perform necessary injector testing
13. Correctly understanding schematics
14. Obtain certification to safely work on CNG vehicles to NFPA 52 standards